Monday, February 4, 2008

The Losers

Ah, tragic news, my lovely friends, tragic news indeed. Shadowline, a branch of Image comics, recently hosted a comic book contest for writers. Now, most of you don't know me. It's my fondest dream to write comics. I don't particularly want to write movies or novels or even short stories. I wouldn't mind TV, but I don't particularly have the flair for it - also, most shows I've liked have ended pretty quickly, so I don't think that my tastes are the most...marketable.

Comics, though? I understand a lot about them. I'm no particular wunderkind, and I'm not a spectacular writer. But I love comics, and I'd like to think not in the creepy way that comic fans have a reputation for. I don't love just a few characters - I love the medium. I love Y: the Last Man just as much as I love All-Star Superman. I love John Roger's Blue Beetle and I love Ed Brubaker's Captain America. I just downright love comic books. I talked about why, earlier, so I won't go into it again.

So, yeah, contest. 5,000 entries. Very, very obviously, I have a minute chance of winning. My pitches, I made four, were varied in quality. Two were very, very good, I thought. Two were...eh. Not bad, not great. I had real hopes for two of them.

The top 10, the people moving to the next round of the competition, were announced today, and alas! but I am not on that list. I check four or five times, just in case.

I know it's not the the end of my chances to break into the industry, not even close. And it's not the only thing I hope to do with my life. But...not being an artist myself means it'll be about 100 times harder to get in the industry, and getting into grad school is getting to be a pretty huge hassle.

Well. Life can be a hassle at times. Still, I have to hope. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can do it, I know you can.

Let the passion guide you and the bliss of creativity be your goal. And work your ass off until you make it.