Friday, May 30, 2008

Shiloh Norman <> Mr. Miracle, Soldier of Victory

You might have guessed from my name here - I loved Grant Morrison's 'Seven Soldiers of Victory'. It's been a continual minor disappointment to me that they haven't had better representation in Vs. The game is great enough, there are enough characters and teams I like for this not to hurt the game, but man, I would love to see a full Seven Soldiers team, based on Morrison's book. It would be awesome.

Until my dream comes true, I've satisfied myself with what I have - Shiloh Norman <> Mr. Miracle, Soldier of Victory. Shiloh Norman is on the New Gods, a team rather notably absent from modern and silver age. That makes it difficult to

3 cost
Ranged
ATK: 4
DEF: 5
Evasion
Vengeance: Whenever Shiloh Norman becomes stunned while defending, you may remove target attacker from this attack if you control another New Gods character.

That's what Shiloh Norman reads. Now, here are some downsides to Shiloh Norman - there are almost no characters to use him with in Silver Age. On the upside, he's a three-cost character who exists in the era of 2-drop Quicksilver who can essentially negate an attack. Of course, in the era of Pathetic Attempt, he's got a significant potential downside, but let's ignore that. How can we build a good Silver Age deck around Shiloh Norman? In an extremely attack-heavy era, he's a good card.

Well, if we want to make the best use of him, we obviously need to team up. There are a lot of teams we could use, of course. The first thing I thought of when I saw him though, was stall. I mean, he's a great stall card. It's a 3-drop who stays around forever and absorbs one attack every turn. So, the first team I thought of for this stall deck was, of course...Marvel Knights.

I know a good blogger would probably be saying this having planned ahead. This is untrue with me. I want to use Shiloh Norman, and the Marvel Knights seemed like an interesting choice. As I work on a few other far less interesting decks for the blog, I'll also be working on this one. And I'll be widening the variety of things I talk about on my blog, as I have come, in the last two months, to realize that, with so much time between VS sets, I need to expand my repertoire for the coming months if I want to have any hope at all of providing you with interesting, regular content.

I'll post again in a couple days. Until then - enjoy yourself, and keep the countdown to Marvel Universe going strong!

No comments: