Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why Mark Waid Is Awesome

"My first allegiance as a writer is to the story. Second allegiance, if not my characters, is to the integrity of the characters I didn't invent. Allegiance to the paying audience is the Road to Hell. "Fan Service" is the express lane. While I agree it's not good business to piss off your audience to such a point where you'll drive them away, "good business" is the last thing I should be thinking about when I'm actually writing. Writing "what the audience wants" or "what will please the audience" is the domain of the hack. A writer stands or falls by the integrity of his work. Everything else is secondary."
- Mark Waid, EiC Boom! Studios

http://forums.boom-studios.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=435&sid=b8e60fd3dc9e72de583ae6dda3e9c53f

I'm sure I'll have something written up about all of these shenanigans that are going on on the Interwebs sometime soon, but for now, just... revel. Revel in Mark Waid.

2 comments:

Bruce Castle said...

Come back to Read/Rant. It's dying without you. I've been busy and you're the only other one who still writes for the blog left.

Calvin Cleary said...

I am indeed on my way back to Read/RANT!